The health benefits of Mullein Essential Oil can be attributed to its properties like analgesic, anti inflammatory, anti septic, disinfectant, diuretic, expectorant, febrifuge, relaxant and tranquilizing.
Common Mullein or Verbascum Thapsus and Wavy Leaf Mullein or Verbascum Sinuatum, as they are botanically known, both used to extract the essential oil. The former one is more preferred for extracting oil. The Essential Oil is extracted by steam distillation of its leaves and flowers. The Mullein is distributed all over Europe, South and Central America and temperate zones of Asia. The essential oil contains coumarin, rotenone, and tannin, triterpene saponins like verbascosaponin, mucilage, aucubin, catalpol, flavonoids and phenolic acids. From very old time, Mullein was famous as Candlewick as it as actually used to make candlewicks.
Later on, its medicinal uses took over its other uses. Let us see what those medicinal uses are.
* Analgesic: The analgesic property of this oil has a numbing effect on the nerves, it does not let them sense pain and carry its sensation to brain, thereby giving relief from pains, such as those of toothache, headache, cold, sinusitis and others. It does not have adverse side effects on the body like the general analgesic pills do.
* Anti Inflammatory: The Essential Oil of Mullein is anti inflammatory in nature. It can effectively cure any type of nasal or respiratory tracts inflammation, resulting from common cold or inflammation in the digestive system caused by overeating of spicy food or alcoholic drinks or inflammation of the circulatory system caused by any toxic substance getting into the blood stream or inflammations caused by any other reason such as fever, infection etc. This oil can cure any type of inflammation.
* Anti Septic: The anti septic property of this essential oil gives protection to wounds from infections which may cause septic and tetanus. This, it does by eliminating microbial growth in the affected place and also by activating the white blood cells and platelets in the region, so that microbes, even if they succeed to get through the wounds, are finished by these two agents.
* Disinfectant: This oil is very efficient in curing both internal and external infections. Internally, it cures infections in the genitals and the urinary tracts, colon, excretory system and the kidneys. Externally, it fights infections on skin, in the ear, nose and other parts of the body.
* Diuretic: The Mullein Essential Oil increases urination both by frequency and by quantity. This helps drain out the toxins like uric acid as well as extra salts, water, bile etc. deposited in the body. Urination also helps reduce weight due to removal of water and fat through urine. It also helps reduce blood pressure, enhances appetite, promotes digestion and prevents formation of gases in the intestines. Urination also clears the deposits in the kidneys, thus keeping them clean.
* Expectorant: This oil has remarkable expectorant properties. It loosens cough or phlegm deposited in the lungs and respiratory tracts and gives relief from cough, heaviness in the chest, breathing troubles, asthma, bronchitis, congestion and other respiratory disorders. It does not only clear depositions of phlegm or catarrh but also soothes the mucus membrane.
* Febrifuge: This Essential Oil of Mullein is also capable of reducing fever by fighting the infections causing fever. The diuretic properties of this oil also contribute to this effect, since removal of toxins and wastes from the body speeds up recovery from infections.
* Relaxant: The Mullein Essential Oil has relaxing effects on the muscles, nerves, brain and all other systems, thus giving relief from muscular cramps, nervous afflictions and disturbances, nervous disorders, stress, anxiety, anger, depressions etc. This also helps reduce blood pressure and reduces chances of heart attack.
* Tranquilizing: The patients of chronic insomnia or stress related acute insomnia can surely benefit from this property of Mullein Essential Oil. It can give them their most desired thing, a sound sleep.
* Other Benefits: Apart from the uses discussed above, this oils is used to treat all ailments of the respiratory system such as congestion, coughs, whooping cough, bronchitis, laryngitis, pharyngitis, sinusitis, tonsillitis, tracheitis and asthma and infectious diseases like influenza, tuberculosis, urinary tract infections. It is also used to treat chilblains and hemorrhoids.
Few Words of Caution: No potent threat noted. It is non toxic and non irritant.
Blending: Mullein Essential Oils blends well with essential oils of basil, eucalyptus, garlic and thyme.