Strength training is an integral part of any well-rounded exercise program, regardless of your age or gender, and you’re never too old to begin Strength training produces significant Continue reading
Today I’ll finish off this three-part series on the troubles seniors face with nutrition. I’ll be covering what your primary needs are, how your nutrition needs change as you age, and where you can go for assistance.
Seniors have different nutritional needs than other people. Even if you’re in great shape, it’s still important Continue reading
- You can easily tweak the traditional push-up technique to turn it into a powerful core-building workout by doing a push-up in reverse
- A reverse push-up involves lowering your body into the typical push-up position, then, instead of pushing your body upward, bending your knees and moving Continue reading
No one ever talks about the health benefits of organic sulfur.
It truly is the forgotten mineral – yet the third most abundant in your body. Only phosphorous and calcium can be found in higher quantities. Did you know that sulfur is present in every living organism?
Even the United States Food and Nutrition Board has neglected sulfur; its last update on organic sulfur’s recommended daily allowance (RDA) was more than twenty years ago.
Why is this a concern? Because your body needs organic sulfur, Continue reading
- Polar bear plunges, which involve taking a dip in the ocean in the winter, are said to invigorate and energize, but they can also generate an enormous shock to your system
- You should be in relatively good shape if you take a polar bear plunge; for those at risk of stroke, aneurysm, blood pressure problems, or heart disease, the extra stress on your body can be especially dangerous, increasing your risk of heart attack
- Even among healthy people, Continue reading
… that pomegranate can help alleviate the pain and discomfort of arthritis and other rheumatoid conditions?
For the 50 million Americans who suffer from arthritis, the pain and stiffness that affects joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments and bones can severely limit the ability to enjoy life and live it fully. Many conventional treatments for arthritis come with worrisome risks and side effects—but the good news is that natural and proven solutions do exist! Continue reading
No aspect of ancient systems of alternative medicine has spread through modern society more than yoga. Originating in India’s Ayurvedic medicine, it has become a phenomenally popular activity for exercise and meditating. Here of course we’re interested in studies on health, Continue reading
Image: Senior study author Tamer A. Ghanem, M.D., Ph.D., director of the Head and Neck Oncology & Microvascular Surgery Division and division head of the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery…
Using a novel surgical approach, it’s possible to rebuild a functional lower jaw and mouth, and preserve a patient’s ability to eat and speak after removing an invasive facial tumor, according to a new report from Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit.
This case study not only documents a successful surgical technique Continue reading
Q: About a week ago, one side of my mother’s face began to droop and she has had no control over it since. We initially thought she had a stroke, but her doctor diagnosed her with Bell’s palsy. He said it would go away on its own, but that it could take six months or longer for her to make a full recovery. Can you give us any suggestions for minimizing the effects of this disease in the meantime?
Dr. Wright: For those readers who aren’t familiar with it, Bell’s palsy is a weakening or paralysis of the muscles of the face and is due to trauma to the facial nerve. Because it usually affects Continue reading
Here’s some health news about a natural remedy for those of you who want to boost your mental health: scientists have discovered that creatine could protect the brain. Creatine is a substance in your body the main job of which has to do with energy production. About 95% of your body’s creatine is stored in your muscles. For this reason, creatine is a favorite supplement for athletes and bodybuilders Continue reading
Jin Shin Jyutsu (JSJ) is an incredibly unique form of touch therapy that—unlike other touch therapy—involves no manipulation of muscles or tissues.
This highly subtle healing modality uses only minimal pressure, and yet is powerful enough to relieve some of the most intense suffering, Continue reading
Your body contains about 25 grams of magnesium and more than 60% of that is found in your bones, while nearly 30% is housed within your muscles. Magnesium is one of the few essential nutrients in which we are often deficient — particularly older adults. For this reason, Continue reading
Team apply new procedure to rapidly induce nerve regeneration in mammals
American scientists believe a new procedure to repair severed nerves could result in patients recovering in days or weeks, rather than months or years. The team used a cellular mechanism similar to that used by many invertebrates to repair damage to nerve axons. Their results are published today in the Journal of Neuroscience Research.
“We have developed a procedure which can repair severed nerves within minutes so that the behavior they control can be partially restored within days and often largely restored within two to four weeks,” said Professor George Bittner Continue reading
- Exercise helps prevent and relieve joint pain through a number of mechanisms, including strengthening key supportive muscles, restoring flexibility, improving bone density and joint function, and facilitating weight loss
- Proper exercises will not damage your joints; instead research suggests exercise has a positive impact on joint tissues
- Inactivity promotes muscle weakness, joint contractures, and loss of range of motion, which can lead to more pain and loss of function, and even less activity. To break this potentially devastating cycle, regular exercise is essential
- If you have significant pain with movement, you may want to work with a physical therapist or qualified personal trainer who can develop a safe workout program for you
By Dr. Mercola
Joint pain is incredibly common, impacting an estimated 30 percent of U.S. adults and causing pain, swelling and stiffness that can range from mildly irritating to completely debilitating. Continue reading
We’ve previously discussed how cancer can be related to dental infections. But the fact that your teeth connect via your nerves to the organs, muscles and body tissues means that heart and gland problems can also originate from dental pathogens. So if you want your heart and glands to be healthy, check the health of your mouth first.
I recently attended an eye-opening conference in Las Vegas at the International Association for Oral and Medical Toxicology (IAOMT). I learned your teeth act as circuit breakers to your spine, and they exert profound neurological control over the rest of your body.
This emerging field offers ways Continue reading