Lemon and ginger combined can do amazing things for the body, from flushing out toxins to boosting immune health. Rich in vitamin C, antioxidants and other potent plant compounds, this lemon and ginger combo should be a staple in morning rituals.
The goodness of lemon and ginger
Both lemon and ginger are commonly used in traditional medicine and home remedies to treat all sorts of ailments. Here’s a quick run-through of their health benefits and medicinal properties:
Lemon is one of the richest sources of vitamin C, a micronutrient essential for immune health. It also acts as an antioxidant to combat free radical damage and keep you from catching infection and disease. For this reason, lemon juice is often used to combat coughs, sore throat and nasal congestion.
Ginger is a go-to natural medicine for nausea, morning sickness and menstrual cramps thanks to gingerol. This bioactive ingredient in ginger has natural analgesic and antibacterial properties. Gingerol has also been found to reduce blood sugar and regulate insulin response in diabetics.
Combined, lemon and ginger create a potent immune-boosting drink that also gently cleanses the body. Others also like to add a bit of ground turmeric to their drinks to help further strengthen the immune system.
Lemon ginger detox drink recipe
This quick and simple detox drink recipe is perfect for flushing out toxins and beefing up those immune cells first thing in the morning.
Just take note that if you plan to incorporate this drink into a morning routine, it’s best to start prepping it the night before to save time in the morning.
Total time: 5 minutes
- 4 cups water
- 1 ounce ginger root
- 1 medium or large lemon
- Rinse, peel and slice the ginger.
- Toss in into a pitcher filled with water. Leave it in the fridge overnight so the ginger has time to infuse the water.
- The next morning, check if the ginger taste is to your liking. If it’s too strong, add more water. You can also toss in a couple more ginger slices to taste.
- Pour the ginger-infused water into a glass if you’d like to drink it cold. Heat it up in a small saucepan if you’d prefer it hot or warm.
- Add the juice of one lemon slice and mix before drinking. You can squeeze in more lemon slices to taste.
Lemon ginger tea recipe
This recipe is best made using organic lemons and fresh ginger. It is also best consumed in the morning to jumpstart digestion and prep the body for the day.
Total time: 35 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 organic lemon
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons honey (optional)
- 1 pinch ground black peppercorn (optional)
- Slice the lemon and ginger.
- Boil water in a saucepan.
- Turn off the heat and add the lemon, ginger and ground turmeric. You can also toss in ground black peppercorn to increase nutrient absorption.
- Steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain and drink at room temperature or reheat (don’t boil).
Lemon and ginger are both potent superfoods that possess medicinal properties and offer numerous health benefits. Combined, they create a soothing drink perfect for cleansing the body, aiding digestion and boosting immune health.
Source for Story: