Extracted from flax seeds, flax seed oil acts as a light carrier oil for skin products.
Homemade skincare remedies allow you to take control of the ingredients you use and put on your skin. Whether you have dry skin conditions–like psoriasis and eczema–or acne and oily skin conditions, the way you formulate your skincare remedies makes a difference. One vital ingredient in skincare is flax seed oil, a versatile carrier oil. Using flax seed oil in homemade skincare remedies proves to be quite easy.
Things you’ll Need:
- Flax seed oil (1 oz)
- Lanette O wax (1 cup)
- Stearic acid (1 cup)
- Helichrysum hydrosol (1 cup)
- Coconut oil (1/2 oz)
- Banana botanical extract (1 tsp)
- Tea Tree essential oil (4 drops)
- Glass bowls (2)
- Jars (2)
Banana Face Balm
- Combine 1/2 ounce of flax seed oil and 1 cup of helichrysum hydrosol in a glass bowl. Microwave the bowl on high for three minutes.
- Remove the glass bowl, and mix 1/2 cup each of stearic acid and lanette O wax in another glass bowl. Microwave this bowl on high for three minutes, or until the wax is completely melted.
- Beat the bowl containing the water and oil mixture vigorously as you slowly add the melted wax from the other bowl. This creates an emulsion. Beat the mixture for about five minutes, until a warm, thin cream forms.
- Introduce the banana botanical extract and continue to beat the mixture until the powders thoroughly dissolve.
- Jar the facial cream and cap it securely. The result is a fruity-smelling and beneficial cream for oily skin.
Tea Tree Salve
1. Add 1/2 ounce of flax seed oil and 1/2 ounce of coconut oil to a bowl containing 1 cup of distilled water. Microwave the bowl on high for three minutes.
2. Microwave a bowl containing 1/2 cup each of lanette O wax and stearic acid until the mixture melts into a liquid.
3. Create an emulsion by beating the bowl of water and oil vigorously as you drizzle the melted wax into it. Beat the mixture for about five minutes.
4. Introduce the essential oil of tea tree to the creamy mixture and beat it for another two minutes.
5. Pour the mixture into a jar and cap it. The result is a soothing and spicy-smelling salve that feels wonderful on dry or chapped skin.