Paint-stripping products containing methylene chloride can be deadly if you inhale them. The highly volatile, colorless and toxic chemical is widely used as a degreaser and paint stripper and is available in many over-the-counter products sold at home-improvement stores. Applied in a confined space like a bathroom, this chemical is particularly dangerous.
An investigation started by researchers at Michigan State University (MSU) in 2011 has found that 13 deaths since 2000 — including three in Michigan — have involved the use of paint-stripping products containing methylene chloride.
Illnesses caused by mold exposure are a growing problem that few people are aware of, including most primary care physicians, and can develop into serious chronic illness and a syndrome called Mixed Mold Toxicosis. Continue reading →