Refinishing a Bathtub Can Kill You

Paint-stripping products containing methylene chloride can be deadly if you inhale them. The highly volatile, colorless and toxic chemical is widely used as a degreaser and paint stripper and is available in many over-the-counter products sold at home-improvement stores. Applied in a confined space like a bathroom, this chemical is particularly dangerous.

An investigation started by researchers at Michigan State University (MSU) in 2011 has found that 13 deaths since 2000 — including three in Michigan — have involved the use of paint-stripping products containing methylene chloride.

“To use products Continue reading