Most people have issues with bacterial or viral infections from time to time. Unnecessary antibiotics ARE dangerous! Antibiotics damage the integrity of the microbial balance in the gut. The healthy gut microflora is 70-80% of the immune system. Impaired immune systems are less effective at healing the body. Plant products have historically been consumed and utilized for their anti-microbial and health boosting benefits. Many plant materials are being researched for Continue reading
Medical researchers from a Taiwanese Medical School have determined that fresh ginger is an effective treatment against human respiratory syncytial virus (RSV).
The researchers, from the College of Medicine at Kaohsiung Medical University, tested fresh ginger and dried ginger (Zingiber officinale) Continue reading
Did You Know…
… that an ingredient found in Tiger Milk Mushrooms may hold the key to new, 100% natural cancer drugs?
Curing cancer with all-natural drugs and no tortuous side effects is no longer a pipe dream but a very real possibility. Continue reading
Don’t think that you’re going to walk into your health care practitioner’s office and walk out with a prescription for antibiotics in response to your bronchitis.
Since the usual cause of bronchitis is a viral infection, antibiotics aren’t effective at treating this respiratory problem. Antibiotics can only defeat bacterial infections. So most cases of bronchitis don’t require this form of treatment. Continue reading
A sore throat, a condition known to us all, can stem from a viral infection, an allergy, or a simple irritation. It can be difficult to swallow and your throat and glands can swell uncomfortably. Most of us will experience it at least once or twice each year. Here is the first of a two-parter on the many great throat healers from the realm of homeopathic medicine. Today we look at the first four. Continue reading
Oregano, a common ingredient in Italian and Mexican cuisine, comes from the leaves of an herb native to the Mediterranean (not to be confused with Mexican oregano, native to the Americas), is one of the most concentrated antioxidant sources ever studied. According to data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, its antioxidant activity is between three and 20 times higher than that of any other herb. Even well-known antioxidant-containing fruits fail to measure up: Oregano has four times the antioxidant activity of blueberries, 12 times that of oranges and 42 times that of apples. Continue reading
The Two Most Common Aggravators of Asthma
Many health secrets involve the hidden things that tend to cause illness. That is what this piece of health news is about. And anyone with breathing issues, notably asthma, should pay attention. Continue reading
Home Remedies Series – Laryngitis
There are a number of things that can cause laryngitis. Let us take a look at some of them:
• The most common cause of laryngitis is a bacterial, viral, or fungal infection.
• Infectious diseases such as tuberculosis and syphilis are also prime causes of laryngitis.
• Allergies and respiratory conditions such as bronchitis and sinusitis can also precipitate laryngitis.
• Overuse of the vocal chords may also cause laryngitis. This can be usually experienced when you’ve been to an event where you’ve been cheering or yelling at the top of your lungs. Public speakers and vocalists can also frequently experience bouts of laryngitis.
• Excessive smoking or consumption of alcohol may also cause laryngitis.
• A prolonged cough can also strain the vocal chords and lead to laryngitis.
• Exposure to atmospheric irritants or harsh chemicals can also lead to laryngitis.
• Those suffering from gastroesophageal reflux may also experience laryngitis.
If laryngitis is caused due to a viral, bacterial, or fungal infection, or sue to some other underlying disease, the treatment prescribed by your doctor should be followed. In addition, here are some simple home remedies that will to speed up healing process and help you get your voice back quicker.
• A saltwater gargle is the best home remedy for laryngitis and a sore throat. Simply mix half a teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water and gargle with it several times a day. The salt water helps to soothe your throat and kills any infections.
• Gargling with an antiseptic and antibacterial mouthwash can also help to kill the germs that have infected your larynx.
• A solution made from equal amounts of vinegar and water can also be used to kill the bacteria. Gargle with this solution four to five times a day.
In addition to these home remedies, what you eat can also have a significant effect on curing laryngitis. Let us see how:
• Garlic and ginger have strong anti-microbial properties. In addition, they also boost your immune system. So make sure that you use plenty of garlic and ginger in your food when you’ve laryngitis.
• A hot cup of ginger tea can do wonders for your throat and your larynx.
When combined with proper medication, these home remedies and diet tips are more than enough to cure laryngitis. Here are some more things to keep in mind when you’ve lost your voice:
• Give your voice some rest. Laryngitis is a great opportunity to not speak. Do not try to strain your vocal chords unnecessarily. Also, if you do have to speak, try to speak normally instead of whispering, because whispering places additional strain on your vocal chords.
• If the air is very dry it makes sense to use a humidifier to moisten the air. Dry air only irritates your throat and further aggravates the situation.